Cycling in the Gap

A blog to chronicle my preparation for the Etape du Tour on July 10, 2006, which will include the basic bicycling stats, and stories mostly related to rides.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Harpeth River Ride, 98 miles

This was a great ride. Lots of organization and volunteers. Even had a live band at the finish where pizza and mexican-type food was served.

My brother and I did the 100 (more like 98) mile ride. We stayed together the entire route. I saw a few friends there - Mark Smith, John, Wes and Larry.

Mark rode the 100 miles. I never saw him. He finished the whole deal in five hours, twelve minutes. 5:12 that is. This was not a flat ride. There were some tough hills.

My brother and I finished in 6:25. That included a total of about 45 minutes of stop time. A lot of time. Not nearly as much as last week though.

This ride passed through areas of relatively untouched landscape - some really backroads. Excellent landscape for a bicycle ride. Oh, that reminds me - we went down the road where I had my crash about 6 weeks ago. I heard a dog bark as we approached the place.

Lessons:

i. Again I am reminded I don't like wet cotton. I decided not to wear wool, thinking it would get too hot. But for me, that means wet cotton. Maybe the Rivendell searsucker would work well.

ii. I could use more padding on my right hand. I wore two gloves today as I have since I started riding again.

iii. If there are only three or four food stops at the E'tape, I need to carry more water.

Two weeks and two days 'til the Etape. Hard to believe. John and I regularly wonder out loud if we really want to go. I can say, though the ride was great today, my mind wonders, do I really need to be doing this - I mean, spending all this time riding.

After the ride today, I went to the annual meeting of the Stones River Watershed Association in M'boro. There I heard two great presentations, one on amphibians in middle Tennessee, and the other on what we can do as SWRA members, citizens, government employees to make a real difference in water quality of our water resources. By Brian Miller and John McFadden respectively. Very knowledgeable folks.

Total miles to date: 1028
My brother went over 2000 today !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home