Cycling in the Gap

A blog to chronicle my preparation for the Etape du Tour on July 10, 2006, which will include the basic bicycling stats, and stories mostly related to rides.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Abandoning a ride


Today, 38 miles. (nope, actually 52 miles)
Past week 4/16 - 4/22, 25 miles.
Total to date: 339 miles (actual, corrected)

Today, Sunday, I did not even attempt to ride early. I did not even make it to Sunday School until about 9:35.

So after church I eventually leave for a 65 mile ride my brothers and I call “the Glenn Wanner ride.” I was too optimistic. At about mile 15 I had a choice to cut to a 42 mile ride, but not having a watch on and not caring to find the time, I continued on the 65 mile route.

At the halfway point, in Leipers Fork, TN, in Williamson County, I stopped for water. It was supposed to be a short stop, but even so, I realized I could not go the 65 mile route. It’d be too dark for the last few miles. And, on top of that, as I am there, up drives a H2 and out of it gets a old friend of mine from many years ago, the son of a man that goes to my church. In fact, I sat by that man in church today. And then see his son about 6 pm. And, he and I start to talk and go on for 20 minutes. He told how this morning at his church in Leipers Fork, a former general of Saddam’s military had spoken. The general was a Christian man. As you can imagine he had some great stories of his service there and of how God had answered prayers and as it has happened, obviously preserved his life through it all.

So I head off back home, but I’m getting tired of the ride, it’s getting colder, and I’m wearing cotton not wool, and it’s getting dark. So, several miles later I make cell phone calls to my two brothers. The younger agrees to come pick me up, and so he does, about 11 miles from home for me.

A poorly planned and executed 65 mile ride ends up at about 38, maybe 40 miles. Sad. I hope my training does not continue like this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tormax said...

Robert,

You must have gone 54 miles at least unless you cut off some of the Glenn Wanner route. I think Leipers Fork alone is 35-37.

john

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home